A virtual private network is an interface between a computer or some other device that has connectivity ability and network that is sometimes remote and geographically separate. A virtual private network adds a layer of security for the protection of the Internet surfer. The VPN prevents a computers IP address from being tracked or monitored and allows computers to be stealth in nature.
There are two types of VPN’s and include site to site and remote access. The site to site allows the connection of multiple users such as a satellite office having the ability to connect to the main office. Remote access allows an employee in the field to have the ability to connect to the company network.
VPN technologies include a variety of security mechanisms to protect the connection and keep it private. This type of technology is important and useful when connecting to a public and unsecured network such as a Wi-Fi hotspot. This type of technology is also useful for employers who allow employees to telecommute or travel away from the office. There is a need to always stay connected a virtual private network provides the necessary security.
A VPN is a program separate from the Internet Service Provider (ISP). The initial connection is made through the ISP and then “tunneled” to the VPN server. There are a variety of companies that provide virtual private networks, usually for a small monthly fee. These companies typically have servers located throughout the world, allowing their use by anyone no matter where they are in the world.
The VPN works by masking the IP address of the computer and assigning a temporary IP address in its place when that computer is logged onto the Internet. This prevents others from tracking and monitoring an IP address and blocking websites because of government or other entity sanctions.
Why use VPN?
- 1. VPN encrypts your internet connection thus protects your privacy and identity.
- 2. Unblock the world! VPN helps you unblock all websites which are restricted by your internet service provider or government.
- 3. Unblock VOIP services and applications such as Skype. Some countries block these services, but with VPN you can easily bypass this.
- 4. Bypass geographical restrictions. Some websites such as hulu.com block access to their videos if you aren’t located in the US. With VPN you can bypass ALL geographical restrictions!
- 5. Safely use torrents. Your IP is 100% anonymous, so you can download and upload as much as you like without worries.